Digital Earth Africa aims to improve the lives of people across the African continent by translating Earth observations into insights that will support sustainable development.
Our platform and services enable African governments, industry and decision makers to track changes across the continent in unprecedented detail. This provides valuable insights for better decision making across many areas, including flooding, drought, soil and coastal erosion, agriculture, forest cover, land use and land cover change, water availability and quality, and changes to human settlements.
We are built on partnerships with African governance and in-country expertise to create sustained capability development in Africa. Digital Earth Africa is working with the African and international community to ensure that Earth observation data is analysis ready, rapidly available and readily accessible to meet the needs of our users.
Digital Earth Africa has partnered with South African National Space Agency to establish a Program Management Office situated in South Africa, Gauteng, Pretoria. The following opportunity exists within the Program Management Office to be filled by an individual with the relevant skills, drive, competencies, qualifications.
Appointments to the DE Africa Program Management Office will be on a short to medium term contractual basis subject to renewal based on performance and budget availability.
USER ENGAGEMENT AND TRAINING MANAGER
12 Months Fixed-Term Performance-Based Contract
Reporting to the Capacity Development Lead, the successful candidate will be primarily responsible for the development and maintenance of the DE Africa training program including instructional design, methodology and delivery of training and optimization. They will work closely with the science, technology and communications teams, as well as key stakeholders and external users across Africa, to validate effective and efficient training plans. Methods of training delivery may include instructor-led courses, video courses, webinars, online courses, and one-on-one coaching sessions. Responsibilities will include but not limited to;
- Engaging users to identify needs, requirements and additional use cases for DE Africa data, products and services;
- Supporting the training and capacity building program for DE Africa across partner institutions;
- Partner engagement and management to ensure objectives of each partnership are being fulfilled to expectations including development of additional partnerships;
- Supporting the operational establishment of DE Africa in Africa;
- Stakeholder engagement and outreach on the use and benefits of the DE Africa infrastructure;
- Identifying new applications, partnerships and innovations that can scale the use and uptake of DE Africa products at the country level for more effective decision making and policy;
- Be available to present at workshops and conferences across Africa and internationally;
- Maintaining and promoting awareness of the DE Africa help desk and provide help desk assistance to users across Africa.
- Supporting the development of challenges and hackathons;
- Supporting the development of case studies and blogs about new use cases and innovation on the use of earth observation data to support development challenges;
- Tracking and maintaining an awareness of policy and other issues related to EO data;
- Tracking debates on data for development, and cross-cutting policy issues in relation to implementation and monitoring of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs);
- Promoting DE Africa through events and media channels and providing other communications and outreach support as required;
- Developing and communicating training status reports and other project presentation materials as needed; and
- Performing other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A relevant Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification;
- Knowledge of remote sensing principles and experience in working with time series remotely sensed data and image processing/GIS software including workflow development and scripting;
- Prior LMS (Learning Management System) eLearning background preferred;
- Proven experience in working with Earth Observation datasets or EO analysis platforms;
- Demonstrated ability of successful collaboration with stakeholders and clients including internationally;
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work as an effective member of a team;
- An interest in the African environment and a broad understanding of processes that affect it;
- Demonstrated experience in working with the Africa Regional Data Cube or other Open Data Cube Community activities;
- Demonstrated ability to teach and present to various students including one on one sessions, group sessions, and training to a larger audience (including providers) required;
- Demonstrated experience developing content, video courses, webinars, and online courses;
- Knowledge of curriculum development for adult learners and demonstrated proficiency in adult education and electronic/computerized training processes;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Power Point, Project, Visio, etc.);
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with technical, financial teams, end users, and key stakeholders; and
- Experience running training and capacity building programmes.
Key areas of responsibility will include but not limited to:
- User engagement and training;
- Partner engagement and support;
- Stakeholder engagement and support.
Please NOTE that the appointment will be on a level commensurate with qualifications, experience and skills. Background verification, including criminal record, credit checks, security clearances, qualification and citizenship checks as well as competency assessment and psychometric testing, may form part of the selection process.
DE Africa reserves the right to not make an appointment.
DE Africa subscribes to the principles of Employment Equity and welcomes applications from all persons with disabilities . Preference will be given to candidates in accordance with this.
Closing date: 4th April 2022
Should you meet the above requirements, please register your detailed CV and cover letter at DE Africa User Engagement & Training Manager (12 Months Fixed-Term Performance-Based Contract) South African National Space Agency (SANSA) (skillsmapafrica.com) Communication will only be conducted with short-listed candidates. If applicants have not heard from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, they must assume that their applications were unsuccessful.
Apply here: DE Africa User Engagement & Training Manager (12 Months Fixed-Term Performance-Based Contract) South African National Space Agency (SANSA)