Digital Earth Africa aims to improve the lives of people across the African continent by translating Earth observations into insights that will support sustainable development.
Our platform and services enable African governments, industry and decision makers to track changes across the continent in unprecedented detail. This provides valuable insights for better decision making across many areas, including flooding, drought, soil and coastal erosion, agriculture, forest cover, land use and land cover change, water availability and quality, and changes to human settlements.
We are built on partnerships with African governance and in-country expertise to create sustained capability development in Africa. Digital Earth Africa is working with the African and international community to ensure that Earth observation data is analysis ready, rapidly available and readily accessible to meet the needs of our users. More information about the organization can be found at https://www.digitalearthafrica.org
Digital Earth Africa has partnered with South African National Space Agency to establish a Program Management Office situated in South Africa, Gauteng, Pretoria. The following opportunity exists within the Program Management Office to be filled by an individual with the relevant skills, drive, competencies, qualifications.
Appointments to the DE Africa Program Management Office will be on a short to medium term contractual basis subject to renewal based on performance and budget availability.
HEAD OF OPERATIONS
24 Months Fixed-Term Performance-Based Contract
Reporting to the DE Africa Managing Director, the Head of Operations will be responsible for;
- Managing the resources dedicated to the Project Management Office (PMO), to ensure Work Packages are delivered within specified timeframes and budgets, and achieve the expected benefits;
- Managing the day-to-day operations of the PMO;
- Working closely with Implementing Partners and the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) to ensure those bodies are effectively engaging and communicating with the PMO;
- Coordinating resources across all organisations involved in the delivery of Digital Earth Africa (DE Africa);
- Work with the DE Africa Managing Director to implement DE Africa program governance and support business development activities; and
- Managing relationships with funding partners and key stakeholders of DE Africa at the appropriate level.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Operations Management, Business Management or equivalent qualifications or experience;
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience as Head of Operations, Operations Director or equivalent leadership role;
- Excellence in operations management with the ability to integrate multiple functions across the organisation, coach staff, manage, and develop diverse and highly performing teams, set and achieve strategic and operational objectives;
- The ability to manage and maintain positive relationships with a wide range of stakeholders with divergent interests, including government agencies, international funders, intergovernmental organisations, private sector companies and international government partner organisations;
- Ability to apply appropriate project and time management skills to prioritize projects, tasks and service requests. Ability to adjust priorities and work schedules as needed through the use of effective organizational skills;
- Effective verbal and written communications skills and effective presentation skills;
- Self-motivation and the ability to work independently, cooperatively, flexibly, and creatively;
- High level knowledge of business processes and their interrelationships, including business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, monitoring and evaluation, risk management, human resources modelling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources; and
- Experience in the development and delivery of scientific or technical projects and programs would be desirable.
Key areas of responsibility will include but not limited to:
- Resources Management;
- Financial Management;
- Operations and Business Development Management;
- Communication and Stakeholder Management;
- Leadership in Diversity and Inclusion, including gender and cultural diversity.
Please NOTE that the appointment will be on a level commensurate with qualifications, experience and skills.
Background verification, including criminal record, credit checks, security clearances, qualification and citizenship checks as well as competency assessment and psychometric testing, may form part of the selection process.
DE Africa reserves the right to not make an appointment.
DE Africa subscribes to the principles of Employment Equity and welcomes applications from all persons with disabilities . Preference will be given to candidates in accordance with this.
Closing date: 17 November 2021
Should you meet the above requirements, please register your detailed CV and cover letter at https://jb.skillsmapafrica.com
Communication will only be conducted with short-listed candidates. If applicants have not heard from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, they must assume that their applications were unsuccessful.