Digital Earth Africa aims to improve the lives of people across the African continent by translating Earth observations into insights that will support sustainable development.
Our platform and services enable African governments, industry and decision makers to track changes across the continent in unprecedented detail. This provides valuable insights for better decision making across many areas, including flooding, drought, soil and coastal erosion, agriculture, forest cover, land use and land cover change, water availability and quality, and changes to human settlements.
We are built on partnerships with African governance and in-country expertise to create sustained capability development in Africa. Digital Earth Africa is working with the African and international community to ensure that Earth observation data is analysis ready, rapidly available and readily accessible to meet the needs of our users.
Digital Earth Africa has partnered with South African National Space Agency to establish a Program Management Office situated in South Africa, Gauteng, Pretoria. The following opportunity exists within the Program Management Office to be filled by an individual with the relevant skills, drive, competencies, qualifications.
Appointments to the DE Africa Program Management Office will be on a short to medium term contractual basis subject to renewal based on performance and budget availability.
EARTH OBSERVATION (EO) DATA SCIENTIST
12 Months Fixed-Term Performance-Based Contract
Reporting to the Lead Scientist, the EO Data Scientist will be a member of the team that develops, manages and delivers continental services and products for Digital Earth Africa, using analysis ready earth observation data and other geospatial data (satellite imagery and data, radar measurements, etc.). Responsibilities will include but not limited to;
- Creating information products and services based on satellite Earth Observation data and products, other geospatial data and services, in situ measurements and geospatial information;
- Operationalising data processing & analysis algorithms, from beta, to prototype to operational versions; Provide guidance to the technologies team;
- Working closely with the business development team on developing new solutions to practical problems;
- Designing EO algorithms and workflows that are robust, scalable, well documented and reusable (e.g. python Scripts);
- Produce EO data products and implement scalable EO workflows;
- Design visualization and provide documentation of products to support capacity development and communication of the products to users; and
- Support use of DE Africa products and services by partners and users.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Degree (BSc or higher) in any relevant field (Computer Science, Remote Sensing, Physics, Engineering etc.);
- 2 and more years of proven experience developing data analytics solutions in Python;
- Strong problem-solving skills;
- Strong statistical analysis skills;
- Experience working with (open) EO data;
- Knowledge of EO products, applications, and market sectors;
- Experience developing machine learning-based models is highly desirable.
Key areas of responsibility will include but not limited to:
- Develop EO data products and solutions;
- User guidance and support;
- Partners guidance and support.
Please NOTE that the appointment will be on a level commensurate with qualifications, experience and skills. Background verification, including criminal record, credit checks, security clearances, qualification and citizenship checks as well as competency assessment and psychometric testing, may form part of the selection process.
DE Africa reserves the right to not make an appointment.
DE Africa subscribes to the principles of Employment Equity and welcomes applications from all persons with disabilities. Preference will be given to candidates in accordance with this.
Closing date: 4th April 2022
Should you meet the above requirements, please register your detailed CV and cover letter at DE Africa Earth Observation Data Scientist (12 Months Fixed-Term Performance Based Contract) South African National Space Agency (SANSA) (skillsmapafrica.com) Communication will only be conducted with short-listed candidates. If applicants have not heard from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, they must assume that their applications were unsuccessful.
Apply here: DE Africa Earth Observation Data Scientist (12 Months Fixed-Term Performance Based Contract) South African National Space Agency (SANSA)